Ceramic Coating Myths Exposed
Ceramic coatings offer great vehicle protection & can really enhance the overall aesthetics of your vehicle. When high-quality ceramic coating products are used, applied by a certified professional, and are properly maintained, they are durable & will last for years to come. That being said, ceramic coatings are not perfect and while they do leave your car, truck or SUV with incredible gloss & shine, there are some things they can’t do! Read on to learn all the myths of ceramic coatings as well as the many incredible capabilities they do provide for your vehicle.
What Are The Benefits of Ceramic Coatings?
Ceramic coatings utilize nano-ceramic technology to create a liquid polymer that is applied to your ENTIRE vehicle by hand, by a certified ceramic coating installation expert. Nano-particles bond with the porous surface of your vehicle creating a glass-like protective shield, offering extra vehicle protection & greatly enhancing your vehicle’s overall aesthetics.
Benefits of a ceramic coating or what a ceramic coating WILL do for your vehicle include:
- ✔️ Create an effective sacrificial barrier to protect your paint from the aging process caused by: UV oxidation, Corrosion, Abrasion and Topical defects
- ✔️ Keep your car cleaner, for longer.
- ✔️ Provide hydrophobicity & a significantly reduced wash time.
- ✔️ Eliminate waxing and buffing.
- ✔️ Add depth, highlight metallic flake, and add a high-gloss finish.
Probably the best advantage of a ceramic coating is the sacrificial layer it provides. Any damage will remain in the coating, never reaching your clear coat, allowing us to use specialized ceramic products to polish out damage without having to remove a clear coat from your paint and without the risk of the damage fully permeating your clear coat and requiring a repaint.
That being said there are definitely some myths when it comes to ceramic coatings. So, let’s talk about the things a ceramic coating will NOT do for your vehicle.
Ceramic Coating Myths
- ❌ Prevent rock chips- nanotechnology provides exceptional hardness, but nanoparticles are very small and not designed to repel damage from rocks.
- ❌ Eliminate hard water spots/etching- though coatings repel water, no product on the market can truly prevent mineralized water, or acid etching.
- ❌ Provide zero maintenance – coatings keep your car cleaner for longer, cut wash time in half, and allow you to never buff or wax again, but they are not maintenance-free.
Maintaining Your Ceramic Coating
As we mentioned before, a ceramic coating is a great way to add extra protection to your vehicle as well as enhance its appearance. BUT, ceramic coatings need to be maintained & cared for properly to ensure they last & maintain coating performance. To ensure durability & longevity it is necessary that you follow these maintenance steps & advice:
- ✔️ Hand wash your car at regular intervals or use a touch-free automated wash
- ✔️ Never go through automated washes with wraps
- ✔️ Never dry dust or use California dusters
Can You Combine A Ceramic Coating With Paint Protection Film?
If you are looking for the highest level of performance & protection available for your vehicle, we highly suggest combining paint protection film with a ceramic coating. HQD’s Ultimate Surface Protection System combines both Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coatings, to keep your vehicle looking its best while helping it stand up against road debris, environmental & weather-related elements.
Here at HQD our certified ceramic coating experts are here to provide an honest & trustworthy experience. You can count on a sales experience free of marketing buzzwords and high-pressure tactics, and rather, one that focuses on transparency and information.